Energy Performance and Habitation Certificates

We ensure your property has a Habitation and Energy Certificate.

Apply online now...

Property owners are required to have Habitation and Energy Performance Certificates, especially when selling their Spanish property.

Obtain Certificates

HomeFinance Spain prepares all the documentation and obtains the certificates, on your behalf.


Having obtained the certificates, we register them with the statutory authorities in the Town Hall.


We will ensure that all the applicable taxes have been paid in full, so you have complete peace of mind.

Certified & Stamped

Once completed, we give the fully certified and stamped original certificates to you or your solicitor.

Get in touch

By submitting this form, you confirm that you agree to our website terms of use, to our privacy policy and consent to cookies being stored on your computer.

What is an EPC?

An Energy Performance Certificate is a report that details how efficient a home is in regards to energy consumption. 

Spain introduced a new law – ‘Real Decreto’ – obliging property owners to obtain EPCs before they can sell or rent their property.

The EPC is there to provide buyers and tenants objective information on the energy consumption characteristics of the existing building – prior to purchase or signing a lease.

The energy performance certificate determines an energy rating for a property with a scale ranging from “A” (the most efficient) to “G” (the least efficient).

Do I need an EPC in Spain?

Many people ask us – does my property in Spain need an Energy Performance Certificate?

The answer is usually – Yes, all new and existing buildings which are to be sold or rented must have an Energy Performance Certificate. However:

  • Buildings that have a floor area of less than 50 square metres do not require a certificate.
  • Buildings that are used for less than four months of the year or use less than 25% of yearly consumption of energy for short term rentals do not require an EPC. However, the building owner must declare how many units the property uses.

Are you unsure on whether your property needs an EPC or on how to get one? HomeFinance Spain can help!

Contact us for more information or if you have any questions. 

How do I get an EPC?

HomeFinance Spain offers a service to get habitation and energy performance certificates for our clients. We take away the stress by obtaining your certificates for you.

The process of getting an EPC involves the gathering of information on the property’s location and buildings data. An on-site audit is also conducted by a qualified technician who will gather the required information and make a report. 

The certificate is then registered with the Autonomous Administration. The process can be complicated and time consuming if you don’t speak Spanish or the appropriate procedures.

What is a Habitation Certificate?

A Habitation Certificate is a report that is issued which details the habitation standards of a property. 

All new properties in Spain are issued with a Habitation Certificate (Certificate of First Occupancy). This document shows that the property is registered correctly and that the builder has fulfilled the necessary legal obligations. This document is issued by the local Town Hall.

The Habitation Certificate is a requirement to enable the registration and changeover of the utility services. This document is renewable after a certain period of time, dependant on the area, and is later known as Certificate of Second occupancy.

Do you need a fully certificated and stamped Energy Performance certificate (EPC) or a Certificate of Second Occupancy?

HomeFinance Spain can help! Contact us for more information, we’re always happy to give you a call and discuss any questions you may have.

Frequently Asked Questions

The Energy Performance Certificate provides property buyers and tenants with information on a property’s energy characteristics. This allows potential buyers and tenants to compare buildings energy characteristics with others, so they can make an informed decision when deciding which property to choose.

Yes, as the owner or landlord of any property in Spain, you are responsible and must get the certificate for your Spanish property. The energy label must be displayed on the advertisement for the sale or letting of your property.

When selling your property in Spain, you must give the buyer the original copy of the energy efficiency certificate on the completion day. They may also request to see it during negotiations of the sale of the property. 

When renting your Spanish property, you must give the tenant a photocopy of the energy efficiency certificate with the lease document.

If you do not have the required Energy Efficiency Certificate when advertising your Spanish property for sale or rent, you are likely to experience the following:

  • The Autonomous Administration can issue fines and sanctions, for breaching Spanish Consumer Rights.
  • The Contract of Sale of a Spanish property can be declared void.
  • A property owner who does not have the certificate can be held liable to compensate the buyer or tenant for any damage caused by not having all the required information on the property’s energy characteristics.

The Energy Performance Certificate is valid for ten years. It is important to keep the documents safe and up to date. 

Your Spanish property needs a habitation certificate if you intend on selling it or renting it out. 

A Habitation Certificate is used to prove that a property is habitable. It is issued by the town hall to a builder when new buildings have been completed to confirm that the building agrees with the its original plans.

A Habitation Certificate is valid for five years. Once this time has passed the property owner must renew the certificate with the town hall.

Yes, the buyers or their representatives will ask to see the certificate. In some cases, this is when the Town Hall discovers works that have taken place without the required permission. This can cause a sale of a property to be delayed.

HomeFinance Spain recommends that you get all the required paperwork for the sale of your Spanish property, including the Energy Performance Certificate and the Habitation Certificate, early to avoid delays.

Get in touch

By submitting this form, you confirm that you agree to our website terms of use, to our privacy policy and consent to cookies being stored on your computer.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.